The IowAAN invites submissions of proposals for concurrent sessions at the 6th Annual Drive-In conference on Thursday, March 24, 2016 in the FFA Enrichment Center, Des Moines Area Community College – Ankeny, IA.
Submissions are due by Friday, January 29, 2016 by 5:00 p.m.
Proposals can be submitted at http://goo.gl/forms/eC7HVzmCKU
Academic advising is an interactive process in which the advisor assists students in setting and achieving academic, professional, social, and personal goals. Our vision of the drive-in conference is to create an engaging day-long learning environment where colleagues can, as our tag line promotes: Listen-Share-Connect.
Proposals could address topics including, but not limited the following suggestions:
• Academic coaching and mentoring
• Academic support and success (study strategies / test taking / time management)
• Advising specific populations: Adult learners, student athletes, first-
generation, immigrant students, LGBT students, students with
disabilities, international students, academic majors and/or programs
• Advising and technology
• Advising and student retention / persistence
• Advising theory / personal philosophy of academic advising
• Advisor training and development
• Career development / counseling and academic advising
• Cultural issues in academic advising
• Faculty academic advising
• First-generation students
• First-year / sophomore students
• Learning communities
• Legal issues in advising
• Mental health and counseling issues
• Student development / career counseling theories
• Transfer / non-traditional students
• Two-year / community college institutions
• Undecided, exploratory, and major-changers
Proposals will be evaluated based on relevance to current issues in advising, appeal to conference participants, creativity, ingenuity, and applicability for participants after the conference.
Proposals should include your presentation title and abstract (limited to 130 words). It is recommended that your abstract include learning objectives.
Proposals can be submitted at http://goo.gl/forms/eC7HVzmCKU and are due by Friday, January 29, 2016 by 5:00 p.m.