The Iowa Academic Advising Network (IowAAN) is pleased to announce its inaugural institute:
Critical Role, Critical Time:
Understanding and Enhancing the Faculty Advising Role
Wednesday, March 23, 2016
3:00 – 8:00 p.m.
Grand View University Student Center, Des Moines, IA
$50 registration fee (meal included)
Join NACADA Executive Director Dr. Charlie Nutt and Associate Director Dr. Jennifer Joslin in this interactive workshop to explore the critical role played by faculty advisors and mentors in higher education institutions today. Engage in discussion of current issues and trends in advising to develop knowledge and tools for enhancing faculty advising on your campus.
Faculty advisors and administrators, as well as full-time coordinators and academic advisors who work with or provide training for faculty, are encouraged to attend!
OUTCOMES of this INSTITUE:
- Connecting advising to retention and persistence
- Defining what makes good teaching vs. good advising
- Developing understanding of advising beyond class scheduling
- Supporting academic advisors with limited resources
- Identifying campus resources to make appropriate referrals
- Balancing responsibilities (teaching, advising, research, etc.)
- Communicating and engaging with students
Online registration will open February 1, 2016 at http://www.iowaan.org